'Political Tours': Visit North Korea (and More)

♠ Posted by Emmanuel in , at 7/29/2011 12:01:00 AM
Here's another instalment of Weird Things I Come Across on the Internets. I dunno why I was shown a banner ad for Political Tours--maybe it's a sign that I should visit fewer international affairs sites--but its pitch sure is interesting (if gimmicky):
Political Tours is a revolutionary concept for travellers passionate about politics and current affairs. We offer group tours and tailor-made itineraries in destinations around the globe.
Georgia, North Korea, Northern Ireland [relive the Troubles?], Bosnia & Serbia, Kosovo, Ethiopia, the Kurdish region of Turkey...the list goes on and on of various now-lukewarm hotspots--and I don't mean Wi-Fi. Still, I'd like to ask these folks where's Iran (which I've actually visited recently), Libya, Syria, Somalia, Myanmar, Honduras, the US-Mexico border and other places where the black hawk has a convincingly higher chance of going down if you know what I mean. I've heard much about ecotourism, but this niche market strikes me as a bit...morbid.

Moreover, why pay a premium to go on a guided tour of these places when you can arrange travel on your own and make stunts alike swimming to the lakeside home of Aung San Suu Kyi that make yourself a genuine political cause celebre?